The Member for Northern Victoria Region, Candy Broad has urged local residents to be fire ready during the state-wide Fire Action Week, kicking off on Sunday, 10 October and running until Sunday, 17 October.
Ms Broad said despite the recent rain, it was vital residents started planning and preparing now.
“This week is a call to action,” Ms Broad said.
“Fire Action Week is a whole-of-state effort to encourage everyone to get fire ready, no matter where they live. It is a time for residents to learn more about fire and use local and online CFA resources to help plan for their individual fire risk.
“Individuals and families need to identify their risk, start preparing their bushfire survival plan and start clearing their properties.
“Every Victorian, no matter where they live, needs to be fire ready.”
Ms Broad said the week is to be focussed on community events that promote the importance of writing and practicing a fire plan.
The week also aims to raise community awareness and support on-the-ground activities to help clean up and make neighbourhoods, communities and Victorians safer for the coming fire season.
“Our focus is to make Victorian communities as fire safe and as fire ready as possible. No one – no matter where they live or what their fire experience has been – can afford to be complacent.
“The Brumby Labor Government is working alongside local councils and communities to lead a range of activities, including clean-up planning days right across the state,” she said.
Fire Action Week activities in the Northern Victoria Region will include:
- 10 October, 10am-4pm, Wodonga Children's Fair, Wodonga Showgrounds
- 11 October, 7.30pm, Fire Ready Victoria Presentation, Osborne's Flat Hall
- 14 October, 7pm, Fire Ready Victoria Presentation, South Wangaratta Fire Station,
- 15 October, 6.30pm, Fire Ready Victoria Presentation, Chiltern Memorial Hall
- 17 October, Beechworth Planning Day, Ford St Beechworth
- 17 October, Kangaroo Flat Planning Day, Crusoe College
- 17 October, Macedon Planning Day, Macedon Primary School
- 17 October, Lancefield Community Show, Chauncey St Lancefield
More information on Fire Action Week can be found on the CFA website, the primary online channel for Fire Action Week: www.cfa.vic.gov.au.